Monday, August 22, 2005

The problem with online friends...

Considering my online friends are the ones who will be reading this, I suppose I'm being a bit daring with my title today. But allow me to explain. The trouble with online friends is that you have to be able to get online in order to interact with them. This past week, I did not have that "luxury", though it truly has become a necessity in my house.

Yes my dear blog readers, my high-speed internet connection was down for THREE days. That's three days, morning to night, of no birth board, no blogging, no trivia contests, and the worst: no email! No ordering pizza online, checking the weather forecast, looking up questions as they came up in conversation. My husband and I would frequently be having a conversation and one of us would say, "well, I could look that up, but our internet connection is down!".

Now mind you, our connection has been up and down for the last 2 months. I actually have Cox Communications outage phone line on speed dial, and I have memorized every one of their prompts I have to go through each time I call where a nice animated woman walks me through rebooting my modem. "I still can't see your modem online. There's really not much we can do till it comes back. Keep in mind, if you were talking to a technical service rep, you would just be waiting on the phone also." Bite me lady. I already did all that. My modem will NOT be coming "online" because my internet service IS NOT WORKING!!!

I finally get to a real live person afte 10 minutes who walks me through some more meaningless crap, like checking my IP address. All while I'm attempting to keep up with my two babies. We end each call with... "well, I can sent out a technician on day " which is always at LEAST 4 days away. Last time we went through this our internet was out Saturday and part of Sunday and magically returned on Sunday. Perhaps the high-speed internet fairy had arrived? Saturday when we called, our appointment was scheduled for Wednesday. Of course when he showed up on Wednesday, all had been fixed by the high-speed internet fairy. So he got about a foot in the door and left. The very next day, the connection was down when we got up in the morning. We kept expecting the high-speed internet fairy to show up and magically bring our connection back online, but she didn't arrive. We thought we might actually make it to our Sunday appointment and someone would see that we weren't smoking dope - our connection was actually down! But alas, that stupid fairy bit us in the ass again, and late Saturday afternoon poof! we had a connection back. So Sunday the technician ran some diagonsitics and told us that our connection was wonderful. As good as it could get. Absolutely NO explanation for why it had been down for three days. Terrific.

So I sit here with a little black cloud over my computer screen, just waiting for the high-speed internet fairy to wave her little wand and poof! make it go away again. And cause me to be friendless for several more days.

4 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, August 22, 2005, Blogger Tess said...

Isn't it scary how a high-speed internet connection has become woven into the fabric of our lives? I was the same way when we first moved and didn't have a connection for a week. When we finally got a local phone number, we got dial up to tide us over, and it was so primitive!

Glad to see you back online....

Tess

 
At 7:56 AM, August 22, 2005, Blogger Linda said...

Hey, we had that same problem recently. We moved in this house 2 years ago and had to have the whole cable installed. Well, we finally got a tech out to check the pole and the original tech has installed all the wiring backwards. He rewired everything and it hasn't been a problem since. Just a thought . . .

 
At 8:59 AM, August 22, 2005, Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

She's a fickle one, isn't she? She zotzed DH's connection yesterday, too. THANK GOODNESS mine was ok. I also, always have work as back up. Although, as I sit here, with my monthly numbers falling, I realize that companies should take away internet access. It's really very distracting! I won't be the one to suggest it, though! LOL!

 
At 4:40 PM, August 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah, that's not whining. Venting, maybe, bitching, maybe...but I'm good with those things. =) I am glad to "see" you again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home