Monday, August 15, 2005

What color is the sky in your world?

This was always my obnoxious little phrase to use when someone was doing or saying something crazy. But at one point I started to think... is blue the same for everyone?

When I look out of my eyes, I see certain colors. For instance, I might be reading a book at tell my son, "this is a red ball". But is the color he sees as red the same color I see as red? Or does his red, perhaps, look like my green? Do everyone's eyes process color the same way? I figure this is one of those things we would never really know, because every time I see "my red" I say "that's red!" But maybe every time my son sees "my green" he says "that's red!", because it's HIS red.

This has become my explanation for mismatched outfits. Perhaps colors look different to the person who things orange and purple look good together. And I have always questioned why everyone thinks red and purple match. Perhaps MY red and purple don't match, but someone else's red and purple do match.

It's way too early on a Monday morning for this kind of analysis, so I will blog again later.

6 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, August 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, you're making me dizzy. As if I didn't have enough to worry about with Oz just talking and sleeping!

But this is exactly the kind of thing I used to think when I had lots of sleep. How the heck is your brain working so well, oh mama of two babes?

 
At 8:18 AM, August 16, 2005, Blogger Seri said...

Hey! I was rofl with your title. I have a cute blinkie to go with it. Here it is!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/ambie1973/computer%20art/colorskya.gif

 
At 8:21 AM, August 16, 2005, Blogger Seri said...

Oh, and I forgot to add, what a wonderful topic to think about? I know it probably seems crazy at times, but I have thought of that too. We would all know it as red, so when we see a red object, we say red. But, you're right, what if everyone's red were different? Humm.....
Amber

 
At 4:01 AM, August 17, 2005, Blogger Resolution Gal said...

I swear to god, our colors are different, and I've given LOADS of thought to this particular topic. Of course, shades are a matter of contrast and comparison to the primary colors, depth, etc. etc. So I'm not sure how you could technically examine such a difference between the perception of color....

Ah, crud. I don't know crap about the workings of the eye. But no, you're not the only one who's given this thought.

BTW - I'm convinced my eyes see colors differently from one another. Looking at a piece of cloth, it will look different shades/hues if I look at it with one eye at a time, or with both eyes together. Freaky, huh? :)

 
At 11:15 AM, August 18, 2005, Blogger Precie said...

PDC--I LOVE YOU! I say that ALL the futting time!!!

And I love this post--I've totally wondered if we all see colors the same way...This would explain why DH and I don't always agree on the color balance of our TV.

--QDSB

 
At 11:45 AM, August 18, 2005, Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

OMG OMG OMG! I am just amazed at this blog. I had this EXACT same thought and discussed it with my best friend in college...we were annoyed and perplexed at ever having had the thought...then, an ex-boyfriend told me it is actually a topic in philosophy classes...let me see if I can find a link!

http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~philos/MindDict/colorperception.html

http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~philos/MindDict/colorperception.html

I really thought it was an original quandry, but, I guess like so many things, it is a human question we are experiencing...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home