Friday, August 12, 2005

Questions for God, Part 1

I have a whole list of questions I'm going to ask God when I die about things that I just don't get. Most involve my desire to actually be able to interpret the Bible in a literal fashion. I get stuck sometimes. My Dad is a minister, so I've been well schooled in the Bible and think about stuff like this more than is probably healthy. I'll share one with you today.

So... God creates Adam and Eve, they are without sin, then there's the whole tree/apple thing and sin enters the world. Eve's "punishment" for her conniving part in this whole activity is that she will have pain in childbirth.

Here's where my confusion comes in. Eve was already made at this point, correct? She had ovaries, and a uterus, and a vagina. I will assume that God did not at this point make babies a lot BIGGER or her vagina a lot SMALLER. So how in the heck was it that childbirth was NOT going to be painful before this whole tree/apple episode? Were we going to be like kangaroos and get the babies out very tiny and keep them in some sort of pouch till they got bigger? Or did he have some other initial design on how babies were going to get out of another person?

Or even worse, did he know (in his omniscience) that Adam and Eve were going to screw up the whole Garden of Eden thing before they had kids, so he just made her that way to begin with, knowing it was coming. If that's the case, I start to have real concerns about the whole concept of free will.

So are you, my ever-faithful blog readers, starting to worry about how my brain works yet? =)

6 Comments:

At 9:40 PM, August 12, 2005, Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

OK...that's a really really good question. I am not sure I can take the Bible literally...I won't just have a whole list of questions, my question book will rival the thickness of the bible. Thanks for coming on board. I love reading your blog.

 
At 9:41 PM, August 12, 2005, Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

AND...OH...Did you ever hear the theory that God is outside of time? In other words, he would have known that they would screw up...but, you're right, what does that say about free will...wow, this is too deep for bedtime, sorry to burden you.

 
At 11:43 PM, August 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha. We're gonna make a theologian of you yet.

I can't help you with the taking the Bible literally - Elisabeth Schussler Fiorenza has a great book called Bread not Stone but I don't know if you'd like it. And I'm definitely not trying to convert you because then I lose the only person who can explain a more conservative viewpoint to me intelligently.

Now, the only question is - how does Eve put on a skirt??? Hmmm....

 
At 6:01 PM, August 13, 2005, Blogger Seri said...

Hummm, good question. But I think that's where the whole faith thing comes in, as hard as it may be sometimes to let things go on faith.
Who knows, maybe before Eve screwed up, labor pains didn't hurt, as in contractions wern't painful! Ha! LOL
I guess we'll have to wait till Heaven to find out, and then we'll have all eternity to have our questions answered.

 
At 8:59 PM, August 13, 2005, Blogger Tess said...

Maybe what Amber said--before Eve sinned, it would have been like having had an epidural.

I have A LOT of questions for God.

Tess

 
At 11:54 AM, August 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I'm cracking up, doughnut-less loser that I am - but I can just see the bumper sticker -

"God is better than an epidural."

LMAO.

OOps, am I being sacrilegious again?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home